Does USAA Have Personal Computer Loss Coverage?

Computer insurance

USAA is highly regarded as an industry leader for insurance products as well as other financial services. Their personal computer loss coverage can give assurance to renters and homeowners that their computers will be repaired or replaced if needed. Since USAA's services are geared primarily toward members of the military, most of who relocate quite often, carrying extra insurance on a personal computer can be a sensible choice.

Basic Coverage

Both homeowner's insurance policies and renter's insurance policies from USAA provide basic coverage of up to $10,000 with a $250 deductible for personal computers. The computer is typically covered through a basic insurance policy in the event of:

  • Fire damage
  • Water damage from a flood
  • Complete loss through theft
  • Damage resulting from vandalism
  • Earthquake damage

This plan covers both desktop PCs and laptop computers at replacement cost as long as the member's policy is sufficient. As a result, it is important to have sufficient insurance coverage whether you rent or own your home. If you pay an insurance premium for $5,000 worth of coverage and then experience a fire or flood which wipes out all your belongings, you will only receive $5,000 even if your personal property far exceeds that amount. As the saying goes, you get what you pay for.

Additional Loss Coverage for Personal Computers

USAA members can purchase additional computer loss coverage policies at a relatively low monthly rate. Coverage amounts for computer loss coverage policies range from $3,000 to $10,000. Additional coverage includes protection against:

  • Damage from dropping the computer
  • Damage from spilling a drink on the computer

Policyholders who continuously carry a laptop computer from one place to another can certainly appreciate the additional coverage, since dropping a computer or spilling a drink on the computer is highly likely at some point.

With additional USAA personal computer loss coverage, the deductible is $250 and the device is covered at replacement cost.

Basic Versus Extended Coverage

How do you decide if you need additional insurance coverage for your personal computer? Representatives at USAA can assist you in deciding if an additional policy is a good idea for you. You may also want to ask yourself the following questions as they pertain to your computer usage:

  • Do you use your personal computer for work-related tasks?
  • Do you own a very expensive computer?
  • Do you move often?
  • Do you use your computer constantly?

Although you may have a homeowner's or renter's insurance policy that is sufficient to replace all your belongings, you may still want to consider an additional computer coverage policy if your computer is a vital tool.

Get a Quote

Only members are eligible to purchase a personal computer loss coverage insurance policy through USAA. Standard membership is open to:

  • Active duty military members
  • Military Reservists
  • National Guardsmen
  • Children of military members
  • Children of USAA members

To enroll, contact USAA through their website or call 1-800-531-8722.

Upon becoming a USAA member, you will automatically be eligible to apply for some of the other products offered through this company including banking, lending, and financial planning.

No Military Affiliation?

Since USAA also offers some of its products to individuals who have no affiliation with the military, use the eligibility tool located on the website to determine if you are eligible for membership.

Alternatives for Non-USAA Members

If you are not eligible for membership with USAA, contact your current insurance provider and inquire about coverage options available to you. Most insurance companies offer similar programs for both personal and business computers.

Was this page useful?
Does USAA Have Personal Computer Loss Coverage?