Instead of taking and maintaining an inventory of your home, some people consider hiring home inventory companies to do the work. These companies will do all the tedious work of cataloging your belongings so you don't have to.
Why Hire Home Inventory Companies
Shouldn't a home inventory be taken by a home owner? You certainly can do it for yourself using the home inventory forms available here at LoveToKnow Insurance. There are even many free inventory software programs to help you keep track of your household items. But what if you don't have time or the energy? That's where an inventory company can help.
Reasons to Hire an Inventory Company
- You are too busy. It's far better to hire a company to make your home inventory rather than having the job go un-started or un-finished.
- You aren't very organized. Some people are gifted at keeping records, and other people are not. If organization is not your best skill, hire a company to do it for you.
- You want it done professionally. Since home inventory companies have lots of experience, they know what details to look for. They are likely to record information you would have never considered.
- You don't have the proper equipment. One of the best ways to prove what you own to your insurance company is to have a video or photographs showing your belongings. If you don't own a video camera, it would be easier to hire a company to make a recording for you.
- Your home inventory is stored away from your home. Keeping your belongings away from your home might save them from flood or fire in your home. It's like having additional insurance. But their location might make them inconvenient for you to complete the inventory.
Reasons Not to Hire an Inventory Company
- Don't want a stranger looking through your home. If the idea of a stranger going through your belongings doesn't sound very appealing, hiring a company may not be for you.
- You are concerned about security. Having a catalog of your belongings stored away from your home is good, unless the inventory is stolen. Though remote, it is possible for your inventory to fall into the hands of a potential thief.
- Cost. For people on a limited budget, the funds to hire an inventory company may not be available.
Finding a Home Inventory Company
There are many home inventory businesses across the country. The list below is just a few that have websites. To find a company near you, talk with your insurance agent or your insurance company. They can probably recommend some companies who can perform this service for you.
This company is located in Fredericksburg, Virginia. They have affiliate companies; however, in several states including California, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Maryland, Minnesota, Missouri and Ohio.
They will come to your home or office and take photos of all your belongings. In addition, they will write down names and serial numbers of items. When finished, they will provide you with a CD that contains your entire inventory. You can then store this CD at your home or in a secure location such as a safety deposit box.
They are located in Long Beach, but they provide service to most of Southern California. The services they offer are very similar to other companies. Their process includes videotaping, photographing and recording your belongings. They will give you a CD when the process is complete, and they will keep a backup CD in a safety deposit box for one year. You can have it stored beyond the first year for an additional fee.