Finding auto insurance quotes high risk in the US is not difficult because there are plenty of insurance providers willing to issue policies to drivers who are considered high risk. The trick is finding an auto insurance provider willing to insure a high risk driver without charging extremely high premiums.
High Risk Drivers
Insurance companies charge premiums which correspond with the degree of risk associated with an applicant based on their driving record and demographic information. You may be considered a high risk driver if any of the following apply to you:
- You are under the age of 25.
- You are over the age of 70.
- This will be your first auto insurance policy.
- Periods of time existed when you were uninsured.
- You have a history of accidents, regardless of fault.
- You have a history of tickets and other citations.
Each insurance company has its own method of deciding who is considered high risk, so other factors may apply. For example, many insurance companies require a thorough review of an applicant's credit history, and even if the applicant's driving record is impeccable a blemished credit report may result in a high risk label.
Find U.S. High Risk Auto Coverage Quotes
Both highly recognized and less well-known insurance companies issue policies to high risk drivers in the United States. There are some auto insurance companies that refuse to issue policies to high risk drivers, and this is their decision and completely legal. To find an insurance company willing to provide policies to drivers considered high risk, a quick Internet search will yield several options. Some companies willing to deal with less-than-perfect driving records include:
- Geico offers auto insurance quotes high risk in the US online and over the phone. Be prepared to supply information regarding your current insurance policy as well as information pertaining to your vehicle.
- Nationwide provides auto insurance quotes online, over the phone, and at local offices. High risk drivers may be eligible for a discounted rate if they have more than one insurance policy through Nationwide.
- Progressive gives auto insurance rate quotes online for both Progressive policies and other companies as well, so applicants can compare the various policies available.
This is certainly not an all-inclusive list of auto insurance providers willing to issue policies to drivers with unattractive records. If you find yourself in the situation of needing auto insurance - but falling into the unenviable category of high risk - you will need to take the time to do some comparison shopping to make sure you find a company that will issue you a valid policy at a reasonable price.
Reliable Auto Insurance Companies
You should be aware that not every auto insurance company advertising online is necessarily a reliable company. Unfortunately there are some companies that prey on drivers in the predicament of needing insurance but having factors that make them high risk. These drivers search online for the best deal they can find and sometimes stumble upon companies willing to insure them for rock-bottom premiums. Problems arise, however, when the driver attempts to make a claim and finds that the insurance company either has gone out of business or simply does not honor the claim. Remember: any offer for insurance that seems too good to be true probably is. You should expect to pay more if you fall into the high-risk category.
Before purchasing an auto insurance policy from a company with which you are not already familiar, you should find out the company's rating and also check with the Better Business Bureau to make sure there are no complaints lodged against the company. Prepare to spend a little more in order to receive a policy from a highly reputable company, but at least you can rely on the company to be there when the time comes to file a claim.